Mission Education Encounter Teams
We invite you to experience and immerse yourself in the cultures of Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Taking a "mission trip" with ICC is very different from trips you have gone on in the past. We firmly believe in empowering the communities we work in, allowing them to be the change they seek. Instead of going in and doing for them, we work with them. We listen to their needs, give advice, love, and pray.
Haitians and Dominicans are productive, genuine, innovative, and capable people. They simply lack resources, not expertise. With such staggering levels of unemployment, a MEET provides an alternative to sending work teams where there are already so many willing and able to do the job. Through MEET trips, ICC builds relationships, not walls and barriers. Our program emphasizes interaction, participation, and human connection rather than economic or capital development. We strive to build a shared humanity and serve as Christ has called us to, alongside "the least of these...our brothers and sisters."
Sample activities during your MEET:
- Tour Grace Children's Hospital and clinics
- Participate in Morning Devotions at the hospital
- Visit Urban Community Health sites in slums in Port-au-Prince
- Assist with feeding, holding, and playing with the children in the inpatient ward
- Teach a day-long Vacation Bible School program in Northern, rural Haiti
- Historic visit to the Citadel
- Tour the Lakou Lakay Cultural Center
- Attend a Haitian or Dominican church service
- Tour Santiago, DR and museums
- Accompany home visits to families with children living with disabilities
- Participate in games with adolescents in the adolescent community inclusion program in the Dominican Republic
- Visit a rural community health site outside of Santiago
- Host a day camp for local children with games, lessons, and crafts
Planning your MEET:
We work with your group leader to schedule a date and travel plans and communicate down to our staff in Haiti and the Dominican Republic to plan the activities you're interested in. Our teams are typically 6-10 people. If you're interested in planning a trip for your church or community group, if you'd like to go as an individual and be added to an existing team, or if you'd just like to learn more about the program, please contact us.